Seared Korean BBQ Tofu
Need a quick meal at the seat of your pants? This Korean BBQ tofu recipe boasts bold flavors, fun textures, and the health benefits of protein-packed tofu.
What you will need:
1 Block of Firm or Extra Firm Tofu
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
1 Cup Soy Sauce
3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Sriracha
1 Tsp Fresh Ginger (Minced)
1 Tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1.5 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 Tbsp Water
2 Green Onion Chopped
1.Drain tofu and wrap it in a paper towel or clean dish towel. Place heavy pans or serving dishes over the tofu to help press out the water. Leave for about 20 minutes. Cut tofu into desired shape.
2. Warm the oil on medium-high in a large skillet. Wait for the oil to get warm before placing the tofu in the skillet. When you place the tofu in, it should start to sizzle rapidly. I would suggest using a splatter guard for this part.
3. Cook the tofu on both sides for 3-5 minutes
4. Meanwhile, prepare the Korean BBQ sauce (Boss Tip: you can buy pre-made Korean BBQ sauce at the store if you are pressed for time). In a small saucepan stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, rice wine vinegar, Sriracha, ginger, sesame oil, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
5. Whisk cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until the cornstarch dissolves. Pour mixture into boiling sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce is thick (about 3-5 minutes).
6. When the tofu is done, turn off the heat, drain of any excess oil and put tofu back into warm skillet. Pour the Korean BBQ sauce over the tofu and mix around.
7. Serving suggestion: Serve Korean BBQ Tofu over sticky rice and top with green onion.