When my mother and father honeymooned in a castle in France, they fell in love with the spinach pie that was served there. My mother brought back the recipe and made spinach pie for my sister and me when we were growing up. Going vegan did not mean I had to give up the food I loved, so I decided to make a vegan version of my beloved spinach pie.
What you will need:
2 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Butter
2 (10oz Packages) of Frozen Spinach (Thawed)
3-5 Tbsp Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
3-4 Tbsp Flour
1/3 cup Daiya Mozzarella Cheese (or Any Vegan Cheese Alternative of Your Choice)
Frozen Puff Pastry (Thawed) (Optional: make your own from scratch but hellno do I have time - or patience - to do that)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Spray Oil of Your Choice
1) Drain the thawed spinach. It helps to squeeze the water out over the sink) then transfer to a large mixing bowl
2) Start making the roux by melting vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has completely melted, slowly stir in the flour bit by bit. Do not burn.
3) Once you have added all the flour, stir in the almond milk with a whisk bit by bit to avoid clumping.
4) Add salt and pepper to taste
5) Pour roux over the drained spinach and mix together
6) Spray a glass baking dish with the oil of your choice to prevent the dough from sticking
7) Lay thawed puff pastry sheet across the baking dish
8) Place puff pastry in preheated over at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes (or follow the instructions on the package and cook half the time suggested, you will be finishing the crust cooking after you top with the spinach)
9) Once the puff pastry is done in the oven, spread the spinach mixture over the pastry.
10) Sprinkle Daiya shreds on top of the pie
11) Put pie back in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes
12) Optional: Set the oven to broil and place on top rack for 3-5 minutes.