Mushroom Puffs with Gravy
Pair these rich Mushroom Puffs smothered in gravy with some fresh steamed veggies or a wilted salad.
What you will need:
For the Mushrooms:
4 Large Portobello Mushrooms
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Small Yellow Onion, sliced
For the Filling:
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Fresh Sage, chopped
Sprinkle of Salt
Sprinkle of Pepper
1/2 Cup Red Wine
1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1/2 Cup Pecans
1 Slice Bread
1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
For the Pastry:
6 Puff Pastry Shells (I use Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Shells)
Vegan Gravy, See recipe here:
1) Place the portobello mushrooms in a baking tray and sprinkle with olive oil, garlic, thyme, and salt
2) Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Once cooked place on cutting board to cool and cut into bite-sized slices. Set aside.
3) Pre-heat the oven to the directions on the puff pastry packaging. Follow cooking directions.
4) Warm olive oil in pan and cook the red onion until it's translucent
5) Add sage, salt and pepper and cook until they start sticking
6) Add red wine and cook off the alcohol
7) Stir in brown sugar and cook until it starts to caramelize. Pour mixture into bowl. Set aside.
8) Pour the mushroom pieces and juices into a warmed pan on medium-high heat and cook for about 5 minutes until the juices are cooked off.
8) In a food processor, mix together walnuts, pecans, and bread. Gradually pour in vegetable stock and the red wine mixture. Empty contents back into the bowl and set aside.
9) Cook the yellow onion and a splash (or spray) of oil in a pan over medium heat until translucent. Add in the mushrooms and cook off all the juices. Set aside.
10) Make the vegan gravy. See recipe here:
11) To assemble the pastry cups: carefully remove the tops of the pastry shells and with a small spoon, line the shells with the nut mixture. Spoon in the mushroom pieces and top with gravy.
12) Serving suggestions: server with steamed veggies or a wilted salad.