Egg salad sandwiches were always a road trip favorite in my family, however, eggs cannot be marketed as "healthy" or "safe". Try this tofu salad sandwich for a cholesterol-free and healthy alternative high in protein.
What you will need:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Oil Spray
1/2 Red Onion, chopped
1 Package Firm Tofu
1/2 tsp Tumeric
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
3 Green Onions, chopped
Hampton Creek Just Mayo to taste
Bread of choice
1) Heat the oil in a large pan over medium or spray a pan with your choice of non-stick spray
2) Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes
3) Drain the tofu and pat dry. No need to dry too much, since you do not want the tofu mix to be dry. Crumble into the pan and mix with the onion.
4) Add the turmeric, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix together and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Unlike cooking usual tofu dishes, try not to let it get a golden seer. You want to avoid drying out the mixture.
5) Taste to add any additional seasonings if needed.
6) Pour the tofu mixture into a food storage container and refrigerate for a few hours.
7) When you are ready to assemble, mix in the green onion.
8) I use about 1/2 a cup of tofu mixture to 1 Tbsp of Just Mayo per sandwich, but you can use less Just Mayo if desired. Mix the tofu mixture and mayo together and place on your choice of bread.