Check out this quick and easy recipe for rich vegan gravy.
What you will need:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp Vegan Butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 Cup Mushroom Broth (can substitute for vegetable broth)
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 Tbsp. Warm Water
2 Tbsp. Miso Paste
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tsp. Soy Sauce
Sprinkle of Garlic Powered
Sprinkle of Ground Black Pepper
1) In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Measure out the vegetable broth and add a splash to the sauce pan.
2) Slowly whisk in the flour, being sure not to form any clumps (if they do form, that's ok, just be sure to strain your gravy before serving). Add more vegetable broth if necessary.
3) Once smooth, add in the rest of the vegetable broth and mushroom broth
4) In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the miso paste with the warm water and add to the sauce pan
5) Mix in bay leaves, soy sauce, garlic powder, and pepper
6) Simmer until it reaches the desired thickness. Whisk in some additional flour if the sauce is too thin.
7) Remove the bay leaves and strain the gravy if needed.
8) Serving suggestion: Pair with Mushroom Puff Pastry. Recipe here: or pour over mashed potatoes or steamed veggies.